Sunday, June 3, 2007

Doubleknits

I tend to be a classicist when it comes to baseball attire and cringe when I see old video of the baby blue/pajama pants/doubleknit era. The teams that keep it clean and keep it basic look better, in my estimation and -- aesthetically speaking -- nothing seen on a baseball field in the 1970s looks better than what can be found today.

OK, there's one exception. I loved Saturday's Tigers-Indians throwback game, because I always loved those old Tigers roadies:

The Tigers joined in the Indians' celebration of '70s weekend at Jacobs Field with a rare throwback night. They donned jerseys reminiscent of their 1977 road greys, featuring the block-letter "DETROIT" on the front and blue, white and orange stripes on the sleeves and pants, as well as retro hats with white trim around the orange English 'D'.


C'mon, doesn't this:

Look better than this?:
I'm willing to admit I'm in the minority here, but I think Detroit it the only team that looked better with the pullover doubleknits than without them, at least when it comes to the road gear. And the fact that they did this while being one of only a handful of teams that managed to keep their heads about them and hold on to their classic home duds during the polyester explosion makes it all the more impressive.