Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I Wonder What Jesse Thinks About Pujols Being Benched?

I slammed NAACP president Dennis Hayes pretty hard the other day. I don't take back a word of it, but I should at least acknowledge that the comments he made which inspired my rant, however idiotic they were, were at least uttered in the course of him doing his job as an advocate for African-Americans.

Not so Jesse Jackson, who yesterday said that he was "astonished" that Bud Selig won't commit to following Barry around as he pursues Aaron's record, and claims it is tantamount to erasing Bonds' accomplishments and denying him due process.

Setting aside for a moment the fact that Jackson is perhaps the only person on the planet who believes that Barry Bonds hasn't gotten enough attention, I struggle to see how the plight of Barry Bonds is worthy of the attention of a leading, albeit increasingly obsolete civil rights leader like Jackson.

Don't get me wrong; it's a free country and obviously Jesee Jackson is not required to talk only about issues which are germane to civil rights and the RainbowPush Coalition. Just as obviously, however, is the fact that we are not required to give a tinker's damn what he says when he decides to hold court on issues about which he has no more expertise than the guy on the next barstool over from me.

No comments: