Thursday, July 26, 2007

Razing Tiger Stadium

Tiger Stadium's neighbors hope for a mercy killing, and it looks as though city leaders are finally ready to oblige them, with a vote set on its demolition possibly going forward tomorrow.

Tiger Stadium was the first place I ever took in a big league game (1978), and remains the best place I ever took in a big league game. I have so many great memories from the corner of Michigan and Trumbull, and to this day I haven't taken in a game at Comerica Park despite a clear realization that my stubbornness in this regard is reactionary and irrational.

That said, the sad state into which the City of Detroit has allowed Tiger Stadium to fall is an atrocity akin to leaving grandpa's corpse to rot upon the dining room table. While I am all for saving a corner of the stadium facade for historical purposes, the rest of the place should have been demolished years ago rather than be allowed to quietly rust and decay.

No comments: