Monday, October 22, 2007

Chipotle, do I have a proposition for you . . .

Taco Bell is offering a free taco to everyone in America if one of the players steals a base in the World Series. Seems generous until you realize that this year's Series is a contest of slugging teams playing in the most run-happy environment in baseball. Still, seeing as only one stolen base is required to make the deal go down, I suppose we're all going to get a chance to get a free taco.

If you're like me, however, you much prefer the ultra-fresh, ultra-big burritos from Chipotle. Chipotle, as you may or may not know, is based in Denver, home of the Rockies. If I'm running that company, I think I'd try and usurp Taco Bell's promotion and offer a free burrito for a Rockies win. Yes, someone would have to work out the details given that those suckers are like six bucks each, but that's what MBAs are for.

The only worry: ticking off Red Sox Nation, which I'm pretty sure has its own military by now and may view this as an act of aggression.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Ultra-fresh"? I'm sorry to tell ya bud, but the McDonald's-owned post-mod burrito-chain is as fresh as the Mac trucks, centralized food terminals and white-collar food purchasers who never see real produce--only numbers--allow it to be. You know, like Taco Bell. I eat at those places too, but don't be fooled. Nothing is "ultra" let alone "kinda" fresh. Ultra-thawed is closer to the mark. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to my taco as it is the only thing I have left to watch the World Series for now that my Tribe is on ice.

Craig Calcaterra said...

Well, you probably have a good point there. Allow me to revise by saying that there is at least an illusion o freshness compared to places like Taco Bell. I mean, I at least see them cooking meat at Chipotle, and my mind at least tricks me into thinking it's fresh.

Without such rationalizations we all would have given up a long time ago.