Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hall of Fame Game Going Bye-Bye

This will be the last year for the annual Hall of Fame game. I never went to it and I really have no idea if people who went up for the ceremonies and everything thought of it as a major part of the weekend, but I'm still bummed for that same reason that odd traditional stuff seems to bug baseball fans. Kind of like how my Dad will complain when they close a restaurant he hasn't been to since 1977.

Historically speaking, the game was always an interleague game, though that changed once interleague play ceased to be so special. Attendance and interest on the part of fans doesn't seem to be the problem here, however. This is a matter of scheduling and flights and stuff for current players. Though I sort of wish they'd keep it up -- maybe I'd go some year! -- I can understand why they don't want to.
A history of the game can be found here.

1 comment:

Eric Toms said...

If you desire pointless exhibitions there is always the Civil Rights game.