But better than merely relying on an expert's opinion is the fact that Peter Angelos seems hesitant to do the deal. Let's review the bidding on Angelos' other key decisions during his tenure, courtesy of Will Leitch's helpful rundown in God Save the Fan:
- Running legendary broadcaster Jon Miller out of town;
- Running Davey Johnson out of town;
- Letting Mike Mussina leave;
- Alienating Brooks Robinson so badly that he refused to show up for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of his debut;
- Raising ticket prices 22 percent in the face of declining attendance, but not until after slashing the team budget; and
- Inspiring an annual fan revolt, to which he responded "whoever joins that protest has no comprehension of what it costs to run a baseball team." Meanwhile -- as the Orioles have sucked for a decade -- the value of the franchise has risen 425%.
So cheer up, Seattle! This may be a blessing in disguise!