Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mrs. Scully

Vin Scully's contract is up at the end of the year. He's going back and forth on whether or not he's going to return for what would be year 60 in the Dodgers' booth. What will be the deciding factor? His wife:

But his contract expires after this season, and he said he would follow the advice of his wife, Sandy, about continuing a run that began in Brooklyn in 1950 and has spanned the ownership of the O’Malley family, Rupert Murdoch and Frank McCourt.

“I want to spend a lot of time with her,” he said at the dinner at Sotheby’s that honored him and another renowned Fordham alumnus, Charles Osgood, of CBS News. “There’s a lot of hoopla in this job, but it’s lonely for the wife,” he said. “So I want to talk seriously with her about her feelings. I want to know what’s in her head. We’ll talk it out over the long summer and then we’ll talk to Frank.”

He said that he did not know what his wife would say. “She’s so selfless,” he said, “that she’ll probably say, ‘Whatever you feel you should do, we’ll do,’ and then we’ll be back at Square 1. It’s a question I get asked a lot at this age.”
My guess? He's back, and not just so that the Dodgers can celebrate 60 years of Vinsanity (note to Dodgers: you are going to make a big deal out of this aren't you? I mean, assuming Scully lets you). Rather, he'll come back because if the Scully marriage has handled it this long -- he's been married to Sandy Scully since 1973 -- it can probably handle it for another year.

3 comments:

TC said...

God, I hope he comes back. I will watch Vin Scully do the play-by-play for anything, at any time. I wish Fox (or whoever) would try to get him to do the playoffs again.

Anonymous said...

I second that notion. My formative baseball memories are Vin and Joe Garagiola on the Game of the Week with Marv Albert doing the pre-game show (The Albert Achievement Awards) back in 1986. Vin's still wonderful to listen to all summer long.

Anonymous said...

If I recall, Vin did soem golf really well too.

I am, and always have been an Angel fan, but oddly enough watch the Dodgers more because choosing Rex Hundler or Mark Gubizca over Vin Scully is, well, impossible to do.

With Chick Hearn (Joel Myers- shudder, slight vomit) gone and the Kings so bad even Bob Miller can't make em good, Vin is the only lullaby left for L.A. sports fans.