Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Bill Hall is Angry

One of the things I missed over the weekend was Russell Branyan getting called up by the Brewers to essentially take Bill Hall's job at third base. I mean, sure, it's a platoon, but since Branyan gets the righties, it's pretty much a full time job. According to the JS Brewer's Blog, Hall isn't happy about it:
"Going on the last four years, nothing makes any sense," he said. "My understanding is we needed a left-handed bat in the lineup and I was the odd man out. Does that make any sense? We'll see what happens the next couple of days."
Hall should probably research his usurper a bit. For as much as statheads have crushed on Branyan over the years, he hasn't exactly been a job-stealer. He's been on eight teams over the course of his career, but he hasn't stuck around for 100 at bats on any of them since 2001. He'll crush the ball when he hits it, but he has a knack for wearing out his welcome quickly. I'm still not convinced that he can't be an important part of a winning team, but given the pressure on Yost, Branyan will be cut the first time he goes 0-5 and strikes out four times.

Wait, make that the second time.

4 comments:

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luke said...

FYI, I didn't mean for that comment to sound so snotty...lol...I hit publish then tried to stop it, but it posted anyway...sorry Shyster...

Luke said...

Ok...What I meant to say (nicely) was that he has stuck around for 100 at-bats with several teams, just not several games. I think you just misspoke...

Craig Calcaterra said...

No worries, Luke. I knew what you meant. And yes, I misspoke. I wrote that at 6AM and I wasn't really hitting on all cylinders at the time.