Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lukas on Piazza

You know Paul Lukas as UniWatch, but based on his Piazza spleen from yesterday, someone at ESPN needs to get this guy a more regular gig, stand back and let him fly. I don't have much bad to say about Piazza, and I disagree with a couple of things Lukas is on about, but there's something to be said for a good, focused rant. And I agree wholeheartedly with this:
When the New York Post implied that Piazza was gay, he held that little
press conference where he declared his heterosexuality. OK, fine. But he missed
a huge opportunity to say, "But what if it was true? What if I was gay? So what?
What if one of my teammates is gay? What if one of YOU is gay? It's no big deal.
Listen, I'm straight, but this whole thing is really a nonissue." In a city with
a huge gay population, that was an opportunity to show some real community
leadership, and he totally spit the bit.


No, it's not Piazza's responsibility to be a spokesman or anything, but that would have been great to hear.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to say that Lukas should stick to solely writing about fashion in sports....but did anyone else think he came off as a really weird and angry blogger in his rant? Piazza must have done something to him that we don't know about.

Craig Calcaterra said...

I think it's just a matter of him being a Mets fan who, I'm guessing anyway, thought that his team should have done better than they did while Piazza was there. Who knows?

Unknown said...

Arun, bear in mind that it was a Page2 article...all of which, with the notable exception of those authored by Jemele Hill, are somewhat tongue-in-cheek. The whole point of that part of the site is to drop the formalities and show the lighter or weirder side of things. Personally, I agree with Craig...they need to get this guy wound up and let him fly every once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Craig- I suppose so. I really don't know what else Piazza could have done for that franchise, from a baseball performance perspective. His two-run homer against Smoltz in Game 6 still gives me nightmares, even though the Braves won that game. I wouldn't be surprised if you felt the same way.

Anonymous said...

Obligatory:
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Anonymous said...

I think you meant "screed," Shyster. Carry on. :-)

Unknown said...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/05/21/mets_piazza_ap/

he did say so what.

Unknown said...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/05/21/mets_piazza_ap/

he did say so what.