Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mild?

From Mets.com:
John Maine's status may not be certain, but at least it's not severe.

An MRI taken Tuesday revealed that Maine has a mild strain of his right rotator cuff. He is day-to-day and will rejoin the Mets in Houston, though the team did not immediately reveal whether or not Maine will make his scheduled Sunday start against the Astros.
I think I speak for everyone when I say that the only reason I am aware of what a rotator cuff is is because I have read about problem rotator cuffs ending the seasons and/or careers of athletes on a fairly regular basis over the past twenty years. I'm no doctor so I'm not really questioning the diagnosis here, but I am struggling to recall any instance in which an issue with a rotator cuff was blown off casually like this, as though it were a deep bruise or back spasms or something.

No comments: