Wednesday, September 10, 2008

And That One Very Specific Game Happened

Rays 5, Red Sox 4: Given what all of us out here in opinionland have said about the Rays' recent struggles, no one would have been at all surprised if they had taken Boston's eighth inning rally off of Dan Wheeler as an invitation to lie down, play dead, and relinquish first place. They didn't though. They fought back, knocking Papelbon around in the ninth and serving notice that they will not simply be making way for the Red Sox' putatively inevitable march to the division crown.

I, for one, am inspired by the Rays' resilience. Why? Because it's been a tough couple of weeks for me lately. My wife is sick with some nasty cold that could only have been hatched in a preschool. My legal workload is bordering on the intolerable. I have a book review due, um, yesterday. Because of all of these things, I'm locked in a losing battle with a sleep deficit of monumental proportions.

As a result of all of this, unfortunately, there won't be any And That Happened this morning. I realize that it seems like I've had to say that way too many times in the past couple of weeks, but that's the state of the world at the moment. But though my refreshing and exciting Rays-like upstart blogging life has been losing ground of late to the Sox-like monolithic inevitability of my work and personal responsibilities, I will do my best to emulate Dan Johnson and keep hacking no matter how dire the situation seems.

ShysterBall will be back updating later today and will be back with piping hot recaps Thursday morning.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

No problem, Craig. You take care of yourself...and your wife. :-D We'll be here when you are.

Craig Calcaterra said...

I've actually thought about that, Michael. Of course, most of the time when I have to skip it, it's an 11th hour decsion, and that wouldn't be fair to people. For pre-planned things like my vacations -- and for a weekend And That Happened -- it may be a good idea. It's not something that would come up very often -- and since the season is almost over, it may not come up again until next year -- but having pinch hitters is something any respectable blog has.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, buddy. I've attended college for the last five years without incident my kid is in kindergarten for two weeks, and now the whole family is sick. I think it's a plot by school nurses to avoid getting the axe due to never-ending budget cuts. They probably keep Petri dishes of high-potency virus cultures in that mini-fridge...

Anonymous said...

There is an invisible semicolon in there...

Anonymous said...

APBA Guy-

This Happened: The A's didn't melt down. Geren actually pulled Huston Street and his Can't Throw a Strike Show for a Brad Ziegler 4 out save. Dana Eveland continues his resurgent post AAA performance.

Anonymous said...

Royals lost. Is there really such a word as 'suckitude'.

Just wondering.