Friday, September 12, 2008

Chirp Chirp

This morning in the recaps I cast doubt on the A's stated attendance figures for yesterday's game against the Rangers. At first the box score had listed 30,000, but that was later amended to 10,000.

Of course, based on this story and pic, even that number is demonstrable hooey.

If a ballgame takes place in McAfee, and no one is around to see it, does it still show up in the box scores the next morning?

(thaks to reader Rich in California for the link)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

APBA Guy-

Ok, everyone who reads the comments regularly knows what I'm going to say about this.

All true, but also: the Mausoleum is located not far from the most congetsted traffic in the Bay Area (I-80). It isn't unusual to have fans show up to the Diamond Level at 7:40 for a 7:05 start because of worse than expected delays.

From the crowd shots during the game, my guess is that 10,000 was a high number, but literally "in the ballpark". I'd say between 7,000-9,000 was accurate.

The A's still refuse to lower ticket and parking prices for what are essentially tickets to see a very good AAA team with no power.

Kritical Man said...

You beat me to it. I was at the Giants game on Monday, and the crowd certainly looked sparse even after first pitch. By the 3rd inning or so though it had filled in quite nicely. That linked story about the A's park says the pic was taken 25 minutes before first pitch. No one gets there that early!

Odd, I've found myself defending the A's ballpark more than once this year, despite not really being an A's fan....

Eric Toms said...

McAfee ( was it Network Associates when I went? ) makes Shea look good! It's ghastly! And getting off the BART it feels like you're in a nuclear wasteland ( or what my addled mind imagines to be a nuclear wasteland ). Good game though, Taylor struck out Larry Walker with go ahead run on to end the game. And, I went courtesy of Enron!