Friday, September 12, 2008

The Jays' Last Stand

The Blue Jays may be seven back of the Red Sox for the Wild Card, but they have been surging in recent weeks, and are loading for bear this weekend:

Gaston today confirmed that, win or lose tonight to the Chicago White Sox, he has decided that pitchers Roy Halladay, A.J. Burnett and Jesse Litsch will all be pressed into service for the upcoming weekend set in Boston on just three days rest instead of the normal five.

The Blue Jays are in dire straights when it comes to trying to make the playoffs, trailing the Red Sox by seven games in the American League wild card standing with 17 games left to play.But of those 17 games, seven are against the Red Sox -- four this weekend at Fenway and three more in Toronto next weekend.
Their chances? Pretty damn poor, of course. But wouldn't it jazz things up for all of us non-partisans out here for Toronto to sweep Boston this weekend?

(link via Art Martone at the ProJo)

3 comments:

tHeMARksMiTh said...

"Loading for bear"? I'm not sure I know what that means.

Craig Calcaterra said...

I guess "arming for bear" would have been a more accurate turn of phrase, but it's been a pretty crappy week, and turns of phrase have been hard to come by.

Eric Toms said...

6.5 out, not 7. I know it's hair splitting but I'm a Jays fan and I'll take what I can.

On Jays. I won't look up the #s but we all know that the Jays W-L avec Gaston is way, way better than it was with Gibbons. Is this sort of thing coincidence? The new guy takes over just when the guys who are the best players start playing better? Or does Gaston deserve the credit? I've always thought that at the big league level managing is over rated. You've got big coaching staffs to "coach" and veteran players who understand the nuances of the game so....isn't W-L about the players? I'm not so sure anymore because of this Jays season...the difference has been so significant under the 2 mgrs.

Anybody?