Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mark Your Calendars

Major League Baseball has announced the 2009 schedule. It starts on April 5th, which seems rather late to me compared to recent years, but seems rather right to me based on how I remember things from when I was a kid. I don't want to check either of those assertions with Retrosheet, though, because I really don't feel like confronting my own ignorance and faulty memory right now. Other highlights:

The Mets will open Citi Field on April 13 against the San Diego Padres, while the Yankees will begin play at the new Yankee Stadium on April 16 against the Cleveland Indians.
After which we will not see the Padres or Indians on national television again for the rest of the year.

The All-Star Game will take place on July 14 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

Hey, happy birthday to me! I'll probably be out with my wife at a restaurant that night, so I won't feel obligated to liveblog another turgid, offense-free game decided by the third stringers!

With a late start to the season, the postseason will also probably run into November. The only time the World Series was previously played in November was in 2001 after the attacks of September 11 suspended the season for a week.
OK, so that late start has a price.

For what it's worth, if I had to choose between snowy baseball in late March and snowy baseball in early November, I'd probably pick the former. This could be bad.

4 comments:

Berselius said...

I'd rather see 'snowy' baseball in November than in March/April. I'm just speaking to truthiness here, but I feel like it's far more likely to snow in early April than in November. At least that's the case here in Wisconsin.

Mark said...

Gotta agree there. March/April is always cold in Boston, but it seems like there's some residual warmth left the first week of November. Or so my wishes and hopes tell me.

tHeMARksMiTh said...

To be fair, the third-stringers in the All-Star Game are pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Looks like there is one two week stretch of interleague this year instead of the double sessions of the past couple seasons. That's a definite improvement.