Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Neyer Takes A Bullet For Me

Yesterday during his chat, Neyer took this "question:"

Doug(NY): In your blog yesterday you agreed with the statement that Yankee Stadium was "one of those unfortunate 1970s-era ballparks that are now finally and mercifully gone." It's a shame that as someone who clearly has a love for the game of baseball you obviously have no sense of the history and tradition of probably the most famous sporting arena in the world. Sure it was remodeled, but it still was the location where so many historic moments took place. To say it is finally gone was beyond pathetic.

Rob Neyer: Okay. On to other, happier topics...
The statement with which he agreed was mine from my Monday morning recaps, which Rob quoted approvingly in his Mendozas post that day. I have to admit, I kinda like the idea that I can write semi-incendiary stuff and have Neyer take the flak for it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to finish my post detailing the 17 reasons why I am convinced that Derek Jeter, Carl Yastrzemski, Tom Seaver, Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Al Kaline are key members of a communist/fascist/nihilist/anarchist/homosexual/Martian/French conspiracy to advance the interests of soccer and undermine the American way. Please send all complaints to Rob_Neyer@ESPN.com

8 comments:

bigcatasroma said...

When's that post gonna be up???

Craig Calcaterra said...

As soon as I make sure my life insurance policy pays out for death-by-mob.

Grant said...

On the one hand, I wish Neyer and Law (the only ESPN baseball chatters I read) would only post good, solid questions.

Then I realize that most of the people on those chats probably really are morons like that guy and it is hard to avoid posting their questions. Also, Law is really good at making fun of them. Neyer seems to take less pleasure in it than he does.

tHeMARksMiTh said...

I wondered about that when I saw it, but he took it like a man and didn't push it off onto you.

bigcatasroma said...

No, Neyer set it up by saying that the posters would bombared him for those comments made, in reference to Craig's little bit about Yankee Stadium NOT being 85 years old. So, since he knew they were coming, he said something like "Maybe we'll just take one Yankee stadium question today" or something like that, and probably sat there for 3 minutes, looking for the best one to encompass all the moronic Yankee fans' bizzarre disgust towards him (for perceived hatred to the Yankees). Once he found the perfect question, he answered it, and moved on.

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute... Al Kaline is French?!?

Craig Calcaterra said...

Oh dear. It didn't occur to me that the names and the adjectives for the conspiracy could be matched up.

In light of this, let me be perfectly clear: I do not believe for a moment that Willie Mays is a homosexual. I'll leave all of the others for the working press to investigate and uncover.

Daniel said...

Willie McCovey wanted in, but they named their club "No Willies allowed."

McCovey: But Willie Mays got in!
Mays: No WillieS. Plural. We're allowed to have one.