Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sox Win!

Random thoughts as I make a long enough stopover at home to watch the Sox-Twins game before my next stupid business trip:
  • Danks and Jenks sound like a cartoon cat and mouse team, and Jim Thome is kind of like the big silly dog that would live next door to them, but they were enough to shut down the Twins and win the A.L. Central.

  • My thought as the ball came off of Casilla's bat and headed towards center with two out in the ninth: "man, good thing Griffey isn't out there right now."

  • My wife was watching with me and asked why everyone was wearing black. I told her about the blackout thing. She said [pointing at the screen] "I guess that's cool, but man, how big a douche is that guy wearing the white hoodie?" Good point. Anyway, despite my snark from this morning, the blackout thing looked pretty darn cool on TV.

  • Based on what I've seen from Darrell Hammond on SNL and Frank Caliendo on this year's batch of Frank TV ads, sketch comedy is going to be in big trouble if McCain wins the election, because no one can do him very well.

  • Note to TBS: please do not have Dick Stockton read the crew credits before the completion of a close game again. Nothing bad happened in this instance, but you know that at some point the team that is behind will rally, and some new kind of distracting jinx will have been born. Even if that doesn't happen, it's bad form, no?

Congrats to the White Sox!

10 comments:

Levi Stahl said...

Man, do I love a 1-0 game. That was great fun, and on the night that autumn finally felt like it was here for good.

I'm with you: the wearing black idea, seemingly lame, turned out to work impressively well.

Congratulations, Sox.

Unknown said...

A few thoughts:
1. The Twins win the division easily with Johan Santana (and are probably in a better position going forward).
2. The Twins probably win the division by avoiding Livan Hernandez...or simply cutting bait sooner.
3. What in the world are Dewayne Wise and his .301 OBP (.269 in the second half - LOL!) doing batting second?

Anonymous said...

Your wife watches baseball and uses the word "douche".

Now why can't I find a woman like that?

Craig Calcaterra said...

She can be yours for the low low price of . . .

Actually, she really doesn't like baseball. She was reading a magazine in the same room and just happened to look up for a few moments.

Anonymous said...

Who needs Darrell Hammond when we have Tina Fey?

Daniel said...

Craig - I'm with you on the reading the credits thing. It just felt awkward. Even though he managed to get it in between pitches, it's a 1-0 game! The tension is palpable! The crowd is on its feet! And I'm listening to the names of each person who works a camera for TBS.

I understand those guys are important, but wait until immediately after the game, or come back early from commercial break before the eighth or ninth inning.

Unfortunately, the next two weeks are the busiest weeks of the year for me. I put some Angels/Sox analysis on my blog if anyone's interested. Glad you made it back Craig!

Anonymous said...

The credits were read, and Marty Barrett was declared the MVP in game 6 of the '86 world series. That didn't work out so good for the Sox. Never ever read credits early. Though from the perspective of a Mets fan, that was awesome.

Marty McKee said...

I hate when they read those credits during the game. My brother and I call it "lighting the victory cigar."

Mark said...

Here's my alternate thoughts on reading the credits during the game: these guys are NOT important. Sure, to their moms they are, but nobody watching the game cares, and you're right: it's a total mood-killer. Run a crawl after the final pitch or something, jeez.

Levi Stahl said...

This seems like an appropriate time to break out the Ozzie-o-Lantern my wife carved for the 2005 World Series.

She's now carved four World Series pumpkins--Johnny Damon, Ozzie, Yadier Molina, and Manny--and (because the Yadi pumpkin wasn't carved until after game 2), they've yet to lose a single game.

I'm hoping Jimmy Edmonds gets his chance this year.