Thursday, October 16, 2008

And That Happened

Phillies 5, Dodgers 1: Congratulations to the Phillies who whupped the Dodgers in just about every way they could be whupped. And yes the Dodgers -- especially Rafael Furcal -- whupped themselves as well, but the outcome was basically in stone by the time that happened because they weren't doing anything against Cole Hamels. Now we get to see if the Rays or, less likely, the Red Sox can do anything against him, as he will certainly be the Game 1 starter when the World Series begins next Wednesday.

Next Wednesday?! Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ, Bud Tap-Dancing Selig, who comes up with this schedule?!

UPDATE: A couple of folks were offended by the struck-out exclamation above. With the disclaimer that I always reserve the right to say whatever I want to say no matter who it might offend, I also see no percentage in saying stuff just because I can. I may be blasphemous at other times, but I'm in a mood this morning where the reasonable appeals of those who were offended sound, well, reasonable.

9 comments:

Theophilus said...

As a favor to a guy who loves to read your blog, could you please not use the name of the Lord that way?

Craig Calcaterra said...

j.r. -- I struck out the comment that bothered you. Don't take this as me agreeing with you that what I wrote was somehow inappropriate -- my beliefs are such that you'd be shocked at what I think is OK to write about religious figures of any persuasion -- but I also understand why others may disagree and don't see any benefit in offending just to offend.

Grant said...

wow, that's gotta be the most innocuous "blasphemy" i've ever seen...

Craig Calcaterra said...

Eh, I don't believe in a lot of things, so the concept of blasphemy is kind of lost on me. That said, I tend to respond favorably to polite and civil requests like J.R.'s. We're a big tent here at ShysterBall.

But whatever you think about the above, please do not take this as me imposing some kind of code of conduct on any of you. You all can feel free to say what you want about anyone's god here as long as it's attached to something resembling reason or argument or, you know, a point.

The only rule I have here for positng is civility.

bigcatasroma said...

That's not blasphemy. It's freakin' ludicrous that the WS doesn't start until next Wednesday, when we may know who's playing after tonight. Why the hell wouldn't it start on Saturday or Sunday? Because FOX, MLB, and the Networks are instruments of the devil, and football fans . . .

The Common Man said...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have a real problem with J.R.'s problem with what you wrote, Craig. We've all got buttons to push. I just hope J.R. points out when others make "offensive" comments as well. After all, what's good for the goose...

I get tired of hearing that P.C. has run amok when the issue really comes down to just trying not to be such a jerk. And we should all be working on that.

Craig Calcaterra said...

That's kind of where I am too, TCM. I'm not very impressed with the professionally offended, but at the same time, I am just as unimpressed with people who, because they have a right to say anything they want, never seem to think much about what they say.

Don't get me wrong -- it's a totally free country and, as the saying goes, I'll defend to thje death your right to say what you want, even if you're a butthead. I just don't feel like being a butthead most of the time.

J.R. is a nice guy who likes reading this blog. I see no problem in accomodating him as long as it doesn't compromise what I or other commenters want to say.

Besides, I think using Bud Selig in my example in the post was funnier.

Anonymous said...

APBA Guy-

Of course, using Jesus in the tap dancing way is made possible becuase he has two names. Harder to do with Buddha, Mohammad, Zoroaster, etc..

The Common Man said...

Quetzal tap-dancing coatl?