Friday, October 31, 2008

Silver (and fleece) Lining

While everyone is complaining about the cold weather this year, if you think MLB and New Era aren't happy about those Elmer Fudd hats getting so much TV time in the past week, you're crazy:
The caps have been in the Rays’ lockers since Westmoreland first issued them during the American League division series in Chicago. Westmoreland said that New Era first experimented with the hats at the end of last season, and that this was the first year they were readily available. He said he did not know if any other teams had ordered them.

This week, the Phillies began wearing them, too, and on Wednesday they became available in the merchandise stores at Citizens Bank Park. The sales assistant Angie Arpino said that the model did not seem to have an official name, but that they were selling for $40 and proving quite popular.

“They’re flying off the shelves,” she said.
I walk a few blocks from a parking garage to my office each morning and, because I'm as bald as a pool cue, I wear a hat almost every day. As a result, the odds of me getting one of those things is approaching 1:1, and I almost never buy merch like that. Those of you in northern cities: watch the bus stops and the sidewalks this winter, and I can guarantee that you'll see a ton of these.

11 comments:

TC said...

The Phillies have those winter hats so popular in North Dakota, with the furry inside and the flaps and such. Red hats, white fuzzy interior, and a Phillies "P" on the front flap. I have no idea where to get them, but they're fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I too am follicly challanged but I would not be caught dead in one of those desecartion of sacred garmet on my naked dome.

Anonymous said...

I am the anti-traditionalist. I hate when old fogies bemoan how soft today's players have become. With that said, no major league player should ever be permitted to wear these hats. Talk about soft.

Suck it up, wear long johns, sleeves and stuff a warmer down your pants, but changing the entire uniform to keep your ears warm? Come on.

Craig Calcaterra said...

I think those balaclava things that Upton and some of the other Rays were wearing were a bit much, but I'm willing to let the ear flaps go.

tadthebad said...

A pair of earflaps changes the whole uniform? Who knew?

Next time you have to shovel your driveway, NO GLOVES FOR YOU!

Anonymous said...

tadthebad, fortunately I love in South Florida so I don't do much shoveling!

Anonymous said...

Didn't MLB give Terry Francona grief about being out of uniform if he didn't have a regulation jersey under his windbreaker?

The mud flaps have no more place in an actual major league baseball game than the neck gaiters the wussy Tampa Bay guys were sporting. A uniform is a uniform. If you're too much of a whiny-butt wussie to wear the uniform when it's a little nippy go play NFL football.

Anonymous said...

Didn't MLB give Terry Francona grief about being out of uniform if he didn't have a regulation jersey under his windbreaker?

The mud flaps have no more place in an actual major league baseball game than the neck gaiters the wussy Tampa Bay guys were sporting. A uniform is a uniform. If you're too much of a whiny-butt wussie to wear the uniform when it's a little nippy go play NFL football.

tadthebad said...

Amos, I'm kinda jealous and will be cursing your name in January. And for a crowd that tends to side with employee rights, I am surprised by the animosity towards proper personal protection equipment. If it takes some earflaps to make a player a little more comfortable I'm all for it. I have no beef with pitchers wearing jackets on the basepaths either...same motivation.

TC said...

"I am the anti-traditionalist. I hate when old fogies bemoan how soft today's players have become. With that said, no major league player should ever be permitted to wear these hats. Talk about soft."

They have EXACTLY the same place in the game as games started in sub 40 degree weather. It's a summer game--if you wanna play it in Philly on a day in which we got some snow nearby, well, wear earflaps and gloves and whatever else you need, I say.

RoyceTheBaseballHack said...

Buck Russell: Do you think she hates
me?
Maisy Russell: With a passion.
Buck Russell: Really? Do you think
it's the hat?
Maisy Russell: No.
Buck Russell: No? A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it. Ah, I'll tell you a story about that on the way to school.