Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Great Moments in Playground Litigation

I never get cases like this:

On Monday, the case of a woman who suffered injuries going down the Coca-Cola slide at the San Francisco Giants' ballpark went to trial. Terree Roush is suing both the Giants and Coca-Cola. Her lawyer says the slides are defective and dangerous . . .

. . . On Tuesday afternoon, October 22nd, 2002, 47-year-old Terree Roush and her husband came to AT&T Park to watch their first World Series game. She walked up to the level near the tubular slides inside the 80-foot-long Coca-Cola bottle. When Roush tried to return to the lower promenade to join her husband, the stairs were packed with people. She decided to use one of the two larger slides called "The Guzzlers" to get down to the lower floor. Once inside, Roush says she began twisting and turning through the tubes.

"I went to the left and then as I was coming back, it was so quick that my foot just [twisted], and it completely bent it to the side and shattered it," said Roush.
I'm not Nancy Grace -- I feel like I actually, you know, have to see the claims and the evidence and stuff before I can form an opinion -- so I won't pass judgment here. Maybe the slides are inherently dangerous and maybe the Giants didn't do everything they could do to make them safe.

That said: 47 year-olds who decide to use giant slides in giant Coke bottles because the stairs are too crowded probably have some issues that would be better addressed by a trip to a psychiatrist than a courthouse.

10 comments:

Matt Glenn said...

Did Coke really have anything to do with these slides other than slapping their name on them?

If I get hurt in Citizens Bank Park can I turn around and sue Citizens Bank?

Anonymous said...

Yes. Because you never know when Citizens Bank might decide to hell with it and toss you a hundred grand to make you go away.

Craig Calcaterra said...

I see Justin has been to law school!

/wishing you were wrong, but sadly acknowledging that you are correct.

Anonymous said...

Can I sue Fox and ESPN for the pain and suffering inflicted over the years by Tim McCarver and Joe Morgan?

Craig Calcaterra said...

I think the statute of limitations is up -- and you probably assumed the risk anyway -- but I say let er rip!

Mark S said...

I'm going to sue the Cincinnati Reds as well as ESPN for making me suffer with Joe Morgan for without his HoF credentials I suspect he never would have gotten the analyst gig. Plus this way I also add in a huge emotional distress suit for trauma suffer as a 9 yo watching the Red Sox lose the 1975 Series. Along those lines, anyone know where I can serve Bucky '#&X@(@*' Dent with papers?

Crowhop said...

A pic of Shyster in a Nancy Grace wig would be epic.

Anonymous said...

Reason No. 4,335,208 why people hate lawyers. (Yes, I'm a lawyer).

Daniel said...

Moose, sorry to drop this on you, but the statute of limitations has run out on any Red Sox fan complaining about anything - 1975, 1978, 1986 - none of it matters. Two World Series in the past 5 years should be enough to drive the visions of Bucky Dent from your head.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually not a lawyer; I just listen to lawyers talk all day, every day, world without end. :)