Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sveum to Remain with Brewers

He's going to be a hitting coach/implied threat to Ken Macha's job security:
Dale Sveum will be back on the Milwaukee Brewers' coaching staff in 2009 but not as third base coach. Or bench coach. Looking for a different challenge, Sveum persuaded new manager Ken Macha to give him a shot as the team's hitting coach. Sveum will replace Jim Skaalen, who was not retained after the '08 season.

"This is something I've always wanted to do," Sveum said Saturday. "This has been a passion of mine, and I'm glad Ken is giving me the opportunity to do it."

Macha has a two-year contract, which is a bit shorter than your typical new hire. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think that on some level Melvin doesn't mind having a guy he knows can step in at a moment's notice on the staff.

1 comment:

tHeMARksMiTh said...

I was thinking the exact same thing. This could really backfire.